Pöykkölä - Rovaniemi Local History Museum
The Rovaniemi Local History Museum is one of the few remaining residential buildings characteristic of the area. The main building, storage shed, and two other sheds belonged to the Pöykkölä farm, which the Local Heritage Association Rovaniemen Totto (Kotiseutuyhdistys Rovaniemen Totto ry.) bought in 1957. Since then, 13 log buildings have been transferred to the location from the Rovaniemi region. The museum was opened to the public in 1959.
The museum illustrates life in a local farmhouse and its buildings a hundred years ago. The collection consists of villagers’ artefacts from the turn of the 19th and 20th century. They are mainly related to the traditional trades such as fishing, cattle farming, hunting, and reindeer farming. The empire-style main building from the 1840s stands in its original location and has been furnished following the traditional local style. Several collections are on display in the storage shed, including ones illustrating traditional handicrafts and food economy. In addition, the ground floor of the storage shed features an interesting photographic exhibition of the history of Rovaniemi.
Every year, the local history museum serves as the venue for various events: a fest featuring the traditional hoisting of the flag at Midsummer’s Eve, Marjetta’s fest with grilled salmon on the third Sunday of July, hymn assembly at the end of July, and traditional meal Römppäpuolinen on November.
Rovaniemi Local History Museum is located by the River Kemijoki 3.5 km from the city centre.
The museum is open to public during summer 1.6. - 31.8.
Tue - Sun 12.00 - 18.00 pm.
Entrance fees: adults 4 €, children and students 2 €.
Pöykköläntie 4, 96460 Rovaniemi
tel. +358 (0)50 325 2017